It affects everyone!

It affects everyone!
Three Baskets of Asheville

Monday, September 13, 2010

With autumn comes change . . .

As autumn begins to ripen, and the harvest moon hangs heavy in the sky, we all feel a sense of change in the air. My ten year old and I made our first visit to the local apple farm for our favorite fresh picked Honeycrisp apples (read about apples and cancer prevention at www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20041018/apple-day-for-cancer-prevention ).

I also attended a wonderful yoga/detox/meditation class at my very favorite yoga studio in Glens Falls, New York - Lemon Tree Yoga (www.lemontreegyoga.com) - and enjoyed over four hours of sweating and detoxification - spiritual, emotional and physical!

This cancer retreat continues to evolve - Sue Hayden is currently working on an inspired new name for the retreat, and on all the legalities involved with New York and North Carolina states. I have gone back to school to continue my education and to get my degree in management & wellness. One of my courses this semester is Nonprofit Management! Very exciting stuff.

On the healing side, I am also very excited to be taking my first course towards getting my certification in oncology massage. I will be attending a course entitled "Massage for People Living with Cancer" at the Onondaga School of Therapeutic Massage in Rochester, New York the first weekend in October (www.massage-school.com).

On a sad note, my life continues to be touched on an almost daily basis by those suffering from cancer. At my current job (I presently work in the HR office in a large school district) I see many suffer from this crushing disease. We recently lost two employees - one to non hodgkin's lymphoma at age 53, and one to brain cancer at age 43. There are three employees that I know of who have been recently diagnosed - and these are young women in their 30's and 40's - a school nurse with pancreatic cancer, a teacher with colon cancer, and yet another teacher with stomach cancer. I feel there is such a tremendous need for what this cancer retreat will offer - complimentary/alternative healing (also known as CAM - complimentary/alternative medicine - read more about it at http://nccam.nih.gov/health/whatiscam/) that I feel blessed to be motivated to do this work, and to follow in the footsteps of Sue's inspiration.

I encourage all of you who are reading this blog to post your stories, ideas and inspirations about cancer, healing, wellness, etc - if you are interested in posting, and have not already been invited to be an author (this allows you to post), please contact Sue at info@morganhillretreats.com.

And if you are inspired to help out with this endeavor, and become part of the Morgan Hill Retreat team, please contact us.

On a final note, I encourage you all to invite wellness into your lives. Begin with a good green drink every day (we suggest Vibrant Health's Field of Greens - easily purchased on www.amazon.com), an exercise routine that you enjoy, and a spiritual practice that inspires you.

Enjoy the last days of summer, and the first of autumn's harvest bounty!

1 comment:

Debra said...

Thank you Terri for your sharing. I consider myself blessed beyond words to be involved in this very Holy endeavor. Your continued education and devotion to the practice of "living well" has inspired me to go forth.
Sending you much love and peace,
Debra